Monday, February 9, 2015

What Inspires You To Go?


*Warning* This is quite a personal one!

This is a question that I have recently been asking myself a lot lately. What first really inspired me to want to travel the World? It wasn't till over this weekend that I figured out what it was that made me really consider it.

I knew that I loved to travel, but it wasn't until this June that I realized it was time to put my dream into action. 

In one of my first posts of 2015, I mentioned about how I was going to go to Norway last August to see the Northern Lights, but because of the death of a friend, I was unable to go at that time. 


While this was all happening, I decided to take it as a sign, that I wasn't supposed to go to Norway at that time. I felt like there was something even bigger waiting out there. And there was. The World. I just didn't know it yet.

The sudden death of my friend Kim hit me harder than I thought it would. I guess it didn't fully hit me at first. But for the next month, it hit me hard. I usually write before I go to sleep almost every night, but for a whole month I couldn't get myself to pick up my book or pen for anything. Anytime I tried to write, I had this sudden panic go through my head, because I knew that the only thing I felt the need to write about was Kim. And that scared the crap out of me, to be honest.

Even though she was 3 years older than me, Kim was a friend to me when I really didn't have that many friends. I was a freshmen in high school when I met Kim and she was a senior. We cheered together. During my freshmen year, things were a little tough in the friend department for me. It's not that I didn't have friends at all, it's just that people were changing. And that's okay, because that's the time in your life when SO much change happens. But I was not at all ready for that. And I think that is okay too. Kim, however, sort of took me under her wing, and became a good friend to me. She also had cystic fibrosis, so cheering was not easy for her at all. But she always pushed through every practice and routine with a smile on her face.

I eventually was able to start writing again, only after I read This Star Won't Go Out by Esther Earl and her parents (Summary in my 21 Reads post!). It was the best book I have read this year. And it taught me that love is stronger than anything. Even death.

And this is what inspired me to go.

If Kim could do everything she did, with a smile on her face, while having cystic fibrosis; then I can travel the world solo.

Life is too short to watch someone else live out your dreams.

And even in the toughest of times, we must always push through with a smile on our faces. Because not too many people can even think of traveling this beautiful world like we can.

Live to the fullest, live with no regrets, live your adventure, and love.

xx


Breathe Easy Kim xx

No comments:

Post a Comment