Thursday, October 29, 2015

Falling In Love With Tromsø, Norway



It seems that everywhere I travel to, whether it be Boston, Austin, Reykjavik, or Oslo, I always seem to fall in love with that city. It's like each city casts a spell on me and I become mesmerized by its fascinating sights and different people. Every country, city, town, and village I visit always takes a little piece of my heart forever. I have become pretty used to this routine of falling in love with places for a short period of time and then having to depart from them. Usually I don't mind it, and I'm content with leaving a place with the hopes that I will one day be able to return. But recently, I have fallen for a city harder than ever before.

I just finished spending a magical 10 days in the beautiful northern city of 
Tromsø, and it stole my heart completely. 

Tromsø is located in northern Norway, 350 kilometers (217 miles) inside the Arctic Circle, so for a girl who had been living in Texas for 3 years, it was quite cold. And I loved every second of it. The air was so fresh. It just made you feel alive as soon as you walked out the door. 


My heart belonged to this beautiful place the second I laid eyes on the scenery around me. Everywhere you turn, you are surrounded by gorgeous towering mountains that are so captivating, its so hard to look away. And to make this sight even better, I got to see this gem of a city covered in a blanket of white sparkling snow. There is nothing better than waking up, looking out your window, and seeing mountains as far as the eye can see covered in snow (especially if it's been quite a few years since you've seen proper snow!). No matter where you go in 
Tromsø, you will be blown away by its beauty.

And then of course, there are the Northern Lights.
If you're lucky enough to get a clear night in the city, you can actually see the lights from inside the city. They may not be bright inside the city, but you can still see them. A good place to see the auroras on a clear night is Prestvannet Lake; just a 15 minute walk from the city center. And they are the most beautiful, fascinating sight you will ever see in your life.

The one thing that may have been better than the amazing scene that is 
Tromsø, is its people (and maybe its drinks?). While in this city I met so many new and beautiful people every single day that I was there. They all kindly welcomed me into there lives, whether it be for a day or 4 days. Some were even kind enough to welcome me right into their homes. I know that I have made some life-long friends in Tromsø! So thank you to all of my new Norwegian friends for teaching me about your culture (and mine), your country, and for sharing in some great times!

Now that I've told you about all of the reasons that I fell so hard, I thought I would show you. Here are a few shots from my trip to 
Tromsø that captured my heart. I hope you enjoy and are inspired to see this beautiful place for yourself one day.


















Special thanks to Steph, Suzanne, Theresa, Mariana, Aleks, Sondre, Ole, Jonas, Torstein, Petter Pan, Katie, Josephine, and all the other friends who welcomed me in 
Tromsø! You're all wonderful human beings and I can't wait to see you all someday again!

6 comments:

  1. hey tayls... beautiful pictues!

    ya know you are the new "RUDY"... your the female version of that movie!
    you had the dream... the same catalyst to light the fuse to follow that dream... and then finally... to actually live the dream!!

    those connections you're making could possibly be with you for the rest of your days... that's pretty neat!

    how did you make that line go thru the "o" at the end of Tromso???

    the Iceland postcard was so scenic. but now look... you can't keep falling in love with everything out there... remember what I said... no 6' 5" GQ dude named Sven... got that! Country yes...Sven... NO... LoLoLoL And oh be quiet Dawn... I have to put my 2 cents out there... LoL

    Later tayls...
    keep rockin' it okay...

    Ya know it was a bit horrifying at first to see you in that pic all alone standing at the edge of the world... but i had a sip of sangria... and i felt better! lol

    xoxoxoxo
    RUDY! RUDY! RUDY! RUDY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!!! I love it! So glad you liked the postcard! And I just copy and paste to get the ø ! Oh yes, no Sven!! hahaha Love ya!!!

      Delete