Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Iceland - Perfect Place For First-Time Solo Female Travelers


About a year and a half ago, I read a blog post by one of my favorite travel bloggers, Adventurous Kate. Her post was about why Iceland is the best place for a newbie solo female traveler. By the time I finished the post, I was already looking up flights and accommodations for Iceland.

Now, a year and a half later, I took all of Kate's advice and have just finished my first international solo adventure, in Iceland.

Since I was so inspired by Kate and her reasons for why Iceland is the perfect country to test the waters of solo travel, I decided I would put my own spin on the same post topic. So, from a solo travel newbie no more, here are my reasons why Iceland makes the perfect place for first-time solo female travelers.


No matter where you go, people speak English
Travelling alone internationally for the first time can be very intimidating. Especially if you start off in a country where English is very rarely spoken. In Iceland, almost everyone speaks both Icelandic and English. Most of the signs are also in both languages, so it is very easy to communicate here.


There are so many day toursOne of the quickest and easiest ways to make friends while traveling solo is to go on day tours or excursions. You'll soon realize that there are so many other solo travelers out there. While I was on The Golden Circle day tour, I met a girl who I became friends with and then spent 2 more tours/excursions with the next day. Just by talking to someone or asking them to take your picture on a day tour could lead you to awesome new friends.


Reykjavik is a very walkable and safe city
When you first start travelling alone, another fear is that you won't know how to find your way in a new city. Reykjavik, however is a very safe and walkable city. You are able to get lost all over town, and still find your way back.


Iceland is great to explore on a layover
A lot of people I met in Reykjavik were just there as a stopover to another country. Travelers would have about a 2 day or so stopover in Iceland, and then fly off to their destination. This is a great idea because you can easily explore Iceland in a weekend.


It is one of the most beautiful places in the world

If you're just starting out as a solo female traveler, you might as well start somewhere absolutely amazing! There are so many natural wonders to be seen in Iceland, it is like you have gone to another planet. Between the lava fields, the volcanoes, the geysers, and the Northern Lights, you are bound to leave in complete awe of this country.


I am so glad that I started my new journey in Iceland. It helped give me the confidence that I needed to know that I can make it on my own. Now, it will forever hold an extremely special place in my heart!

If you ever travel to Iceland, I hope it treats you as well as it treated me! Happy travels!

7 comments:

  1. You are amazing!!! Spread your wings and fly....but don't forget to come back home! Love & miss you my baby bird <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Written very well. Good job Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Written very well. Good job Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so proud of you, you have become one special lady, Love you miss you, keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete