Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Oslo In A Weekend



If you're ever in the stunning country of Norway, you'll probably find yourself in its capital at some point or another. Oslo is an ever-growing city with its own unique feel and style. A few weeks ago, I found myself settled in this city for a weekend. At first, I didn't think that a weekend would be enough time for me to explore this city at the extent that I wanted to, but I was wrong.

Seeing Oslo in a weekend is absolutely possible, and probably preferable.

Before I came to Oslo, I was told that it was not that impressive of a city, especially for a capital. I disagree.

I think this city is full of beauty and culture all around; all you have to do is look for it in the right places at the right times.

Now, Oslo is chock-full of historic museums, but I'm not going to talk about those museums here. Since I left home, I discovered that I'm not as big a fan of museums as I thought I was. No, this is how to explore Oslo in a weekend, just by roaming around and finding these amazing places while getting lost in the beauty of this city.

The city is full of beautiful parks (and I always look for a gorgeous park to spend some time in when I travel). One of the first things I recommend doing on you're weekend get away in Oslo is roaming around some of these parks. Whether its Sofienberg Park, Birkelunden, St. Hanshaugen, or just a random little park across the street from your flat, it is definitely worth your time to go explore at least one of these parks.

Another park that you can go to is the Palace Park. You can pass through this lovely park when you go see The Royal Palace. Not only are the palace and its surrounding park gorgeous, but you also get an amazing view of Oslo from the palace steps. Tours of the Royal Palace are available as well.

I'm someone who is quite impressed by towering old buildings and beautiful sea views. That's why I so enjoyed roaming around Akershus Fortress for hours. Between all of the history of the grounds and the view that you get of the Opera House and the harbor, this is a photographers dream place in Oslo. While at the fortress, you get to walk through the grounds and really get a feel for it. The fortress is right on the water, so you can just sit and marvel in it all while looking at the stunning view.Warning, the grounds can get a bit creepy if you're there at night.

The Vigeland Park is up next on the must see's of Oslo in a weekend. It is a sculpture park that displays the works of Gustav Vigeland. You will find yourself spending hours in the park, marveling over the creations of Vigeland. There is so much detail and precision in every sculpture. And with 212 sculptures located throughout the park, you'll see why it is so easy to lose track of time here. It is also quite a popular place for picnics.

And of course, while you're in Oslo, you have to eat. In my opinion, the best place to eat in Oslo was suggested to me by one of my friends from Troms
ø. It is a burger joint called Illegal Burger and they have probably the best burger that I have ever tasted. They are loacted on Møllergata, but you have to pay very close attention to where the building is, as it has no sign or branding on it at all. But once you find it, you'll be very pleased.

Lastly, possibly my favorite place in Oslo, we have the Opera House. The Oslo Opera House building in itself is a sight. It is built so that you can actually walk up the building and onto the roof. Once you're on the roof, you are left with stunning views of the water and the city. I highly suggest getting to the Opera House roof right before sunset, so that as the sun goes down, you will have the best view in Oslo.

This is how I spent (and very much enjoyed) my weekend in Oslo. It was quite perfect for a budget traveler like myself. I hope if you get a chance to get away to Oslo for a weekend that you get to see all these beautiful sites of the capital as well!

1 comment: