Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Unsuspected Adventures

From a young age, we're always taught the popular phrase, "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade".  If life decides to throw a little bump in the road at you, might as well make it fun. Life would be more simple if we all just listened to the popular phrase and made lemonade from our lemons!

Yesterday, I had quite the long day. I was headed out to a pep rally that my cheerleaders were cheering at, and I was already running late. So, I had to grab my shirt out of the dryer while it was still quite damp, and just drive with my windows down in the hopes of it drying off. That was a bit uncomfortable, but it didn't really bother me.

Then I get to the pep rally and went to go park my car in the lot. The pep rally was at a school, so there were kids playing outside, and there was a section of the lot that was blocked off by traffic cones. So I had to turn around and park the other way. Simple.

Well, life thought it be fun to give me some lemons.

My car wouldn't go into Reverse. It was stuck in Neutral and Drive. Uh oh.

So, I pulled into the only empty spot that I could get to without having to turn around. Then I realized that it wouldn't go into Park either (yay). So I would have to wait for a tow-truck to come an hour and a half later. But that was still okay, because I had to go into the pep rally. I left my key in the car, put the car in Neutral, put the emergency brake on, and turned off the engine. I wasn't too worried about anyone stealing it .. it literally couldn't move!

After the pep rally was over, the school kids got dismissed. And the tow-truck just so happened to get there at the exact time that you cannot get into the parking lot of the school while the kids were being released. Perfect.

And that's when I had to wait about another hour or so before the tow-truck could get to me. This entire time, all that was going through my head was the phrase. If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I put my music on, and just had a pretty chilled wait. And it also got me thinking, things like this are going to happen when I travel. Things aren't going to go perfectly to plan. Sometimes there will be hiccups, and that's okay. As long as you know how to handle situations and not let it get to you.

Once the tow-truck got to me, the driver helped me out and towed me and my car to the car dealership. The man's wife was in the cab of the truck too. They were so kind, and I honestly had a great time talking to them in the car ride. Then we got to the dealership, and I had to wait for a shuttle to drive me home.

I had to wait for about 2 hours for the ride, but there was a vending machine, a bathroom, and free wifi! I could not complain one bit! I was even able to get some work done while I waited. I read a little, worked a little, ate, drank, and was merry!

The shuttle actually just turned out to be a worker driving me home in his car. He was also so kind. We chatted and listened to music the whole ride to my house as we sat in rush hour traffic. I learned that he was from Dubai, and then we started talking about traveling and all the places we wanted to visit.

Once I got home, I realized that I was actually seeing this situation the wrong way.

Life didn't give me lemons. It gave me lemonade.

If my car wasn't to go all crazy on me, I would have never met these amazing people. I would have never known that I could handle myself in sticky situations. If you change the way you think about things, you can change your life.

Something you thought would suck, could turn out to be a lovely time. An unsuspected adventure, if you will.

xx


No comments:

Post a Comment