Sunday, March 1, 2015

Living With Less



The past 2 years, I have become quite a spender. As soon as I would get paid, it would be off to the mall or Sephora. I would end up blowing my whole pay check. And I would never be satisfied. I wanted the best of everything. I had the money, so I was going to spend it.

It was around June of 2014 that I realized how bad I had gotten. I would spend hundreds of dollars in Sephora, buying new makeup products at least once a week, when I already had a whole box full of products that I didn't need. Clothes were also a problem for me in the same way. I would just keep on buying and buying, never becoming satisfied with what I already had.

But being that I am going to be traveling the world for a year with only a backpack, I decided a few lifestyle changes were necessary.

I have decided to start living with less.

This past week, I spent all of my free time going through everything I own. I took all of my clothes of out my closet and drawers, collected a large pile of shoes from around my room, and took on the big box of makeup. I figured that I would start pretty slow and then do another clear out in about 3 months. After all, I'll only need a small amount of clothes come October!

In the past, I always had a problem whenever I tried to get rid of some of my stuff. I would be so attached to everything I owned. And in some ways, I still am. But this whole journey for me is a learning experience. I have learned a lot about letting go this year. Now, I'm not as mental about leaving my possessions behind.

Once I was finished going through all of my belongings, I had 4 fully packed garbage bags of clothes to donate, 5 pairs of shoes left in my closet, and only the makeup that I have recently been using daily.

The feeling I had once I was done, was freedom.

It was so freeing to not have to worry about all of that junk taking up space. I now felt like there wasn't material things holding me back as much anymore. Before I cleared my stuff out, I didn't even realized it was holding me back. Life suddenly became so much more simple, just by getting rid of unnecessary objects.

Just by donating half of my stuff, I already know that living with less is a lifestyle that I want. I cannot wait to go through the same process in another 3 months and free myself even further.

Don't let material things hold you back. Learn to set yourself free and come to see how life can be so much easier and simpler if you just let it be. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to the way I was living. This clear out gave me so much hope for the future and my travels ahead...

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment